© The Open University Society of Change Ringers Last Updated 01/05/2017 20:20:49
AGM held on 19th November 2016
Ringing Master David Jones
Deputy Master Denise Hughes
Secretary Sue Tompsett
Treasurer Isobel Murphy
Committee Member Colin Friend
Committee Member Olav Bradstock
Editorial Team. Editor and Layout - Chris Hartley
- Collection of articles and distribution - Denise Hughes
OUSA Delegate Odette Dawkins
Webmaster Peter Rowe
Web Site: www.opuscr.org.uk
Open University Society of Change Ringers
A.G.M. 19th November 2016 Coventry area
There were 15 members present, also 2 visitors.
1. The Ringing Master thanked everyone for coming..
2. Apologies for absence were received from Sheila Matthews, Keith Murphy, Tom Winter,
Rosie Maddocks, Ronnie and Graham Downing, Chris Williams, Chris Ridley, Chris Pain, Peter Rowe, Robert Jones, Sheila Watts, Sheila Ware, Toby Doar, Linda Jones, Claire Howard, Bill Booty, Fred and Gill Pearson, Celia Wood, Anne Sladen, David Belcham, Louise Booth and Paul Feast.
3. Minutes of the Spring Meeting 2016 had been circulated and with a correction of name (Celia Wood) were signed by the Ringing Master.
4. Matters arising. None
5. Election and ratification of new members, Odette Dawkins and Tom Winter proposed by Isobel Murphy and seconded by Sue Tompsett.
6. Committee reports. Ringing Master and Treasurer Reports were circulated and the Secretary apologised for not producing a report. The Ringing Master highlighted the success of the year’s achievements, 2 Peals and 9 quarter peals as well as the well supported events. The Treasurer commented the increased surplus was in part due to the summer meeting being self financing indeed making a 12p profit and the increased monies from OUSA to support the Society’s attendance at the conference. Not worthwhile from a recruitment point of view but was financially.
7. Nomination of Officers and committee members: Ringing Master: David Jones, Deputy Ringing Master: Denise Hughes, Secretary: Sue Tompsett, Treasurer: Isobel Murphy,Committee Members: Olav Bradstock and Colin Friend. As all the officers were willing to stand it was proposed from the floor they be taken on mass. Proposed by Andrew Usborne and seconded by Mary Coe.
OUSA delegate. Our current delegate wished to stand down and Odette Dawkins was proposed by Mary Coe and seconded by Sue Tompsett
Newsletter editor, Chris Hartley was willing to compile the Newsletter and Denise volunteered to coordinate obtaining the content and distribute to members.
On behalf of the Society, The Ringing Master thanked both Peter and Linda for their hard work doing the Newsletter and maintaining the website.
8. Confirmation of Accounts Examiner for 2017. OUSA was unwilling to accept a single examiner as they were not qualified accountants so the treasurer had had to find 2 people to verify the accounts, they are both willing to do this for the next year. Christine Seers and Deborah Coombes were proposed by Andrew Usborne and seconded by Tim Hughes.
9. Subscriptions. As there is an accumulated healthy balance, the Committee proposed that subscriptions be reduced to £10 for full member, £7.50 for associate membership and £5.00 for junior membership. This was proposed by Denise Hughes and seconded by Pearl Gibson
10. Events for 2017: A number of members had already volunteered to arrange meetings for next year.
Spring Meeting on 4th March in Lincolnshire arranged by Claire Howard details are now on the website.
Summer Meeting on 17th June London arranged by Colin Friend. A visit to St Paul’s Cathedral to see the bells has been arranged in the morning followed by towers either walkable or by public transport. Names would be needed in advance because of security clearance.
Quarter peal day 16th Sept in South Warwickshire to be arranged by Isobel Murphy
Annual General Meeting 18th November Beds/Bucks to be arranged by Chris Hartley.
Meetings for 2018. Members have kindly already volunteered to arrange meetings
Spring Meeting March in Leicestershire Andrew Usborne, Summer Meeting for 2 or 3 days May/June Cornwall and the Silly Isles Olav Bradstock and AGM in Herefordshire Denise Hughes
We still require a volunteer for the quarter peal day towers (no need to arrange bands as this will be done by the Ringing Master).
11. Any Other Business
Andrew Usborne commented that information about the existence of the Society was not easily obtainable and better use should be made of bellboard, the Ringing World etc. The Secretary agreed to be more proactive in putting information on these forums.
Celia Wood had offered to set up a Facebook presence for the Society and the meeting thought this an excellent idea but we should also use the other resources as well especially for the more aged among us.
The Ringing Master thanked Sue Tompsett for arranging the day.